Sunday, January 20, 2008

Z vs. Orny: A Sociologist Weighs In

When I think of last week's epic war of words between our good friend Z and total stranger Ornithological Adams that pitted a fan of top-shelf liquor against a second-tier comic in a veritable pillow fight for the ages, I'm reminded that war and strife have always been with us. The Greeks and Trojans, the Romans and the barbarians, and Icelandic no-talent Bjork allegedly going Russell Crowe on a New Zealand photographer for no good reason all attest to this sorry state of affairs.

Closer to home, even some of Dr. Demented's favorite "soft rock" heroes have also featured in some famous squabbles of their own. Yes, I'm talking about none other than Hall and Oates and Loggins and Messina, whose "don't lose the smooth" songwriting tussles were legendary back when Malibu, Marina Del Rey, and Pacific Palisades were the epicenters of this type of proto-Van Halen schmaltz. For more on this story and some much needed perspective on our own Z vs. Ornery scrum, I offer our readers "Yacht Rock" #2, mercifully presented in the shorter of its two known internet versions, below.


1 comment:

Z said...

I'm a bit offended by this. You know I don't condone violence. I dabble in pacifism.