Z's Martina Hingis stalking post reminded me that it's been a while since we've covered any other professional athletes out here in Intravenusland. To help rectify the situation, I'd like to say a few words about one of the great heroes of the pre-PC days gone by: ring legend Reggie "The Crusher" Lisowski.Lisowski (1926-2005) is probably the only wrestler I would want to be like when I grow up. His training regimen for a match reportedly consisted of downing Polish sausages with beer (diet) and benchpressing barmaids and other "dollies" with morally casual attitudes (exercise). If you think I'm making this stuff up, press click here to read the fine Washington Post obit of this he-man mat legend.
In 1964, Minneapolis teenagers the Novas recorded a song about Lisowski with the somewhat novel title of "The Crusher" (later famously covered by noted cultural anthropologists the Cramps). In 2008, this sub-two minute ditty is still considered one of the greatest garage punk songs ever by none other than yours truly; in fact, I'd say it's particularly wonderful listening for anyone who feels "Louie Louie" might be too overproduced.
I've probably said enough for you turkeynecks out there to get a small picture of what the Big Lisowki was all about. However, for a whiff of the true Crusher pheromones in all their blonde-maned and bolo punching glory, check out the period promo below and then the homage to the man set to that great rockin' Novas tune belower.
Mr. Awesome: The Crusher Speaks His Mind About Bruno Sammartino
One Fan's Video Eye Gouge on YouTube
2 comments:
Ah yes, my hero. Nay..GOD!
Bruno Samartino was a punk.
Is it me or does this guy look like a bulked up Benny Hill!
Post a Comment