Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Adam Ornstein Curse - Why Intravenusdemilo Matters (Part I)

Dear Readers,

In the grand tradition of observation and consternation (as we here at the Enormodome are fond of living by) I am personally willing to entertain the satirical notion that Adam Ornstein (AKA Orny Adams) actually serves a purpose in our daily blogging. He is a reminder that innocent bystanders sometimes get hit by documentaries, and become horrible Jeopardy-like trivia answers --

Trebek: Unfunny comedian in the movie Comedian?
Contestant: Who is Adams.
Trebek: Yes.
Contestant: I'll take "That's Not Funny" for $400.
Trebek: Best known for his Tourette's-like routine.
Contestant: Who is Clay.
Trebek: No, I'm sorry the answer is Goldthwait.

For Adams, being placed in the same film as Seinfeld (notably our previous winner of Worst Standup Comic poll) is just an unfortunate turn of events for someone who probably thought the exposure would help his career. In this case, Ornstein failed to become an indie hero such as Mike Schank, "Mr. Awesome" Roy Schildt, or Sir Warren DeMontague, and instead is comparable to the likes of GM's Roger Smith (Roger and Me), Ronald McDonald (Super Size Me), and the camp in Jesus Camp.

So, the next time someone tells you they're making a documentary, and you think it might make you famous-- think Borat and all will be answered.

Mind if I play my harmarnikie?

-TRM

No comments: