Wednesday, August 29, 2007

When Pigs Fly or "You've got to be crazy..."


Dear Readers,

Today I am sad on two fronts that are related to the same topic. Last night, I witnessed a television atrocity when PBS -- my friend, and yours -- aired Australian Pink Floyd. I know what you're thinking -- Red Man, don't you like Pink Floyd? The answer is yes, but there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, I also used to watch the Facts of Life regularly -- even the episodes with Patty Duke's non-hobbit kid and George Clooney who played the character George (big stretch). The point I'm trying to make is that things change (I now know that Minor Threat could kick the shit out of David Gilmour and that's the way I likes it). Second, I've always been a bit shocked at how The Pink Floyd (nod to R-Lo) used to make records about how much they hated the music industry (e.g. Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Animals), but continue to suck every last dollar out of the system -- at least the Rolling Stones tour (to be fair Roger Waters still tours and has a fairly good supporting band). However, how many bands have a cover band play at the Royal Albert Hall, film it, and get it shown on PBS? Plus, it is an exact ripoff of the original music, and not like Minor Threat beating the shit out of Steppin' Stone by the illustrious Monkeys (Take that Davey Jones!). I guess the laser Floyd revenue wasn't enough, right? The absolute worst part is that they're playing Division Bell material in with the classics. Those songs were so bad that even the Gilmour, Mason, Wright -- the burnout trifecta -- version of the band that toured in 1994 didn't play much of them. I guess they were big hits down under just like that Gwenneth Paltrow/Huey Lewis duet from that movie no one saw and sparked the karaoke revolution.

My suggestion, the Aussies need to stick with what they're good at -- Crocodile Dundee, Dame Edna, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and Puppetry of the Penis. Since I'm not going to be able to cure PBS's predilection for bad music I have a few concepts that may catch on with their music loving population.


Yuppie Jimi Hendrix


Ameri-Yanni


Jethro Dull - A Kenny G. tribute to Jethro Tull


Pearl Jam

With sincere apologies to Austin City Limits,

-TRM

No comments: