Friday, December 28, 2007

The Arising Tour Rises Again!



Dear Readers,

For those of you who remember my scathing pre-review of the Smashing Pumpkins new tour show, I felt the need to clear the air and let you all know that the show turned out better than I thought it would. It just proves that when you have low expectations anything is possible. The latest incarnation of the Pumpkins is much like the original one minus two mostly silent band members.

To begin with, the set list was more interesting than I was led to believe. There were a number of old songs mixed in with a sizable helping of new ones. Furthermore, the list for the first night was different from the next two, making those with tickets for all three days very lucky.

Secondly, the Orpheum theater in Boston is definitely the best venue for a larger-than-club-sized show, and it destroys the fire hazard of Great White proportions Avalon (a site I will never purchase a ticket for again). Granted, my best experiences at the Orpheum have always happened when I purchased orchestra seats. As my tickets for the California Raisins -- I mean the Kids in the Hall -- were once located in the last row of the balcony; a place where the ushers are Sherpas and tissues for nosebleeds are a must. Those tickets were the only time I was disappointed by something labeled "DD." Needless to say, my tickets for this Pumpkins show were in fact located in the orchestra.

Lastly, the band performed well, played a lot of great songs while jamming new ones down our collective throats, and put a nostalgic Pumpkins spirit back into my soul. It wasn't the good old days, but maybe things are better this time around -- no band drama and the average age of the fans seemed to be a little older and wiser. The Pixies were still better, but they've got a little company on the 90's revival scene.



-TRM

No comments: